Friday, March 26, 2010

A Bliss Like This

Wednesday night was date night! YAY DATE NIGHT!


I dolled myself up. We don't get date night very often! Black deep v-neck tank top (hello jugs!!), 2 tone blue/turquois runners style jacket, new skinnIER (yeah still fighting that baby belly) jeans, and 3" stiletto pointy toed super sexy boots. I couldn't wear the new stilettos-they make me taller than the hubby! I recently got this choppy shorter, very layered hair cut that I love-it always has that tossled look to it! Make up is an every day affair for me, but I took some extra time with it. I think I looked pretty damn good, if I may say so myself!

We were early to the show (Ron White-freakin hysterical!) and had to hang out in the lobby for a while. We met up with a friend of ours and his uhm...off again, on again...kind of sort of, not really girlfriend. Yeah, one of those. I'm sure she's a nice enough girl but 1st impressions are everything and this chick did NOT make a good 1st impression on me. Sitting on my front porch, bashing his recently ex'd girlfriend who I'm friends with is NOT the way to win me over. No good 1st impression=I don't like you. I'm a bitch like that.

I ran up to the will-call window to see when the doors would be opening to let us in, then made my way through the crowd back to the group. Upon finding no seat on the bench they were resting on, I flung a leg up over my hubby's lap and sat down on his legs facing him. Most husbands I know would have let out and "UHG!" or an "OOOF!" but not mine. He got that devilish smirk on his face, grabbed one butt cheek in each hand and kissed me. Sorry sis-in-law! If you're reading this-just get a barf bag, it'll be over soon!

After a minute of not paying attention to anyone else around us, total high school kids making out in the hall between classes style, we realized we were being rude. Shit happens people. We have 4 kids. Deal with our momentary "US" moment! We had about a 15 minute wait until the doors were to open to let people in for seating...but lucky for us, Fatty's (a kick ass local bar) was serving "refreshments" at the show. I took Ms. On again-Off again with me to get beers for everyone.

As we approached the make-shift bar, she looked at me and asked "How do you do it?"

"What? Walk in heels? These aren't that big! You should see my new ones!!" Yea... if its not toddling, teething, or screaming at sisters, I'm oblivious!

She rolled her eyes and announced she could walk in heels too. GOOD FOR YOU! She cocked her head to the side, held her money out for the bartender and said "How do you keep the spark? You guys act like you're a new couple, still full of young lust! Nate and I couldn't keep that and we were only together for 4 months!" (Names have been changed to protect no one at all but for the hell of it! Just FYI).

I didn't know. I shrugged and said, "My husband's hot! Guess we're just still THAT in love."

She shook her head, "Man, if I ever find that kind of love, I will NEVER let it go!"

As we walked back to the guys my mind wandered. I had never really realized that what we have is THAT different. We talk sometimes about how at 15 yrs old we KNEW we were meant to be together. That's something very few people can say. That was SUPPOSED to be part of my vows at our wedding but uhm...Ms. I'm So Good At Speaking In Public...went 'deer in the headlights' and blanked and then completely out of desperation pretty much repeated what he said! QUALITY! We were, back in high school, that Romeo & Juliette couple! When my parents banned me from seeing him we snuck around. When I went on my 1st big photo trip 2 YEARS LATER...my mom thought I was running off to meet up with him, and was scared I was never coming back. She didn't tell me this until about 3 years ago, at which point I laughed hysterically! The idea never crossed my mind at that time. But you can see, how crazy our love was back then...that my mom would think he would fly to Wyoming from Chicago to meet me and run off with me 2 years after we broke up!

Back to the story, we talk about how even though we went our separate ways, fate or God or a persistant me bound to get back the best thing I ever had, brought us back together years later. We talk a lot about how cool it is that the crazy passionate high school kid chaotic love that we had for eachother when we were young, is still burning. Ahhhhhhhhhh we talk about how cool it is that the crazy passionate high school kid chaotic love that we had for eachother when we were young, is still burning!!! It's not, punch a girl who looks at him the wrong way, kind of crazy anymore...ehhhhhhhh, well I suppose that depends.

I guess I just never looked at it as something others would see as unique.

All the way through the show I thought about what she said. Don't get me wrong, I know how lucky I am. I guess hearing it from someone else, someone who's not around you much, makes you realize even more that you're very blessed.

On the way out of the show I grabbed her by the arm. I told her this:

"Don't be inhibited in your love.
Love 110% no matter what. Don't be scared that the other person doesn't love you as much. Love them like its the last day you have to love them.
Be honest. Be open. Its cliche but freakin communicate!
If its meant to be, it will make you happy to make him happy and when making him happy makes you happy you want to do it more and more and the more you do it, the happier you both are.
Don't care about what others think of you or your relationship. Be proud that he (Whoever he is) loves you for exactly what you are, if he didn't he wouldn't be with you...and if he tries to change anything about you then he doesn't love you for who you are and he should go play in traffic!
If other's don't like your PDAs or your innuendos tell them to get bent! Love their jealousy and let it fuel the fire you have or eachother. Other's wanting what you have is HOT!
Hold hands, smack his ass at inopportune moments, kiss the back of his neck when he's cooking, run up and throw your arms around him when he gets home BECAUSE YOU WANT TO! Not because someone suggested it. Never stop flirting! And if you have to TELL yourself to do any one of these things...if you have to remember to do it and it doesn't come naturally...then keep lookin because then the passion isn't there, and you can't manufacture it...it just has to BE."

She just stared at me blankly. Maybe my wisdom was lost on her. Maybe she had no idea what I was saying. But she asked, and God help you if you ask me something-you will get the answer whether you like it or not.

At home we checked on all the kids, sleeping soundly except for little man-he keeps late hours. When we crawled in bed that night "I love you" sounded a little...more special. Knowing you have something others not only admire but crave for themselves is flattering. We love eachother because we LOVE eachother, not because its the cool thing to do or because we like being "that couple"...but its kind of fun to know that what we have is not an every-day love...at least not to others.


No comments: